Sunday, September 19, 2010

July 30th 2008

Jake and I had about the best date night we’ve had in long time and it was totally unexpected.  We were both invited to a 70th birthday party over in central Oregon for a grandma of one of my good friends.  We’ve been friends forever.  Her grandma lives very close to Smith Rock.
We needed a place to stay.  As I started looking at motels I decided I did not want to fork over the money to stay at one.  So my sister’s cheap stay at an RV park got me thinking.  Why not pitch a tent somewhere?  We have a little 2 man tent we have not used since we’ve had kids, about 9 years now. 
We ended up finding a little camping spot within walking distance to Smith Rock and about a 2 second drive to grandmas!  So we went to the birthday party then hung out at grandma’s till about 9pm or so.  Then just before it got dark we went back to our tent — just the 2 of us.
We sat under the stars and talked, prayed and watched falling stars all while the towering rock spires looked down on us.  It was the first time in a long time I’ve got to see the stars and I was SO thankful.  We went to bed around 11 and woke up at 5:30 and began walking the trails around Smith Rock at 6:30.  It was so peaceful and even romantic!!  And we didn’t even realize what a treat we’d be getting when we went up.  It was the kind of date reminiscent of the kind of dates couples have before kids.  When you do things like sleep in 2 man tents and bring nothing but a little bit of snacks and one change of clothes.  Thank you Lord!

No comments: