Sunday, September 19, 2010

June 11th, 2008

The other day I was less than kind to my husband. In order to prove a point I verbally attacked him.

The next morning, saddened and repentant I cried out to God to save me from the words of my mouth. This Bible verse came to mind.

My little children, let us not love in word or in tongue but in deed and in truth. 1 John 3:18

Yes, Lord. That’s my problem. I tend to say one thing and do another. I realized not only do I hurt with my words but I rely on them to undo the damage I’ve done. I say, “I’m sorry. I love you. Please forgive me.” and I want all to be well. But how empty those words are when, for one, I’m always having to say them…that obviously means I’m always being bratty with my actions, therefore not showing love. And for two, no matter how many times I say ‘sorry’ or ‘I love you’ my actions will always speak louder. The victim of my brattiness will say, “I forgive you” but the damage has been done.

It just occured to me that I also use words rather than actions because of laziness. It’s so much easier to say I love you than to show it. It’s easier to speak my mind then use self control, and just say sorry later. It’s easier to indulge myself then spend energy on someone else. Sad, but true. Ugly too. Hmm…

Well I’m going to apply these truths and see what happens. I’ll be sure to share any cool stories should any form applying these what I’ve learned.

No comments: